1 the fatty network of connective tissue that fills the cavities of bones [syn: bone marrow]
2 any of various squash plants grown for their elongated fruit with smooth dark green skin and whitish flesh [syn: marrow squash, vegetable marrow]
3 very tender and very nutritious tissue from marrowbones [syn: bone marrow]
4 large elongated squash with creamy to deep green skins [syn: vegetable marrow]
5 the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story" [syn: kernel, substance, core, center, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty]
Etymology 1mary, marow, marowe, marowȝ < mearg < < .
- Rhymes with: -ærəʊ
- The substance inside bones which produces blood cells.
- A kind of vegetable like a large courgette/zucchini or squash.
- 1847 Sir Robert Schomburgh, Steam-Boat Voyage to Barbados,
Bentley's Miscellany, Vol XXII, London: Richard Bentley, page 37.
- The finest European vegetables, cabbages, cauliflowers, potatoes, vegetable marrow, were lying in the market-hall, awaiting purchasers.
- 1847 Sir Robert Schomburgh, Steam-Boat Voyage to Barbados, Bentley's Miscellany, Vol XXII, London: Richard Bentley, page 37.
substance inside bones
- Chinese: 髓
- Czech: morek
- Dutch: merg
- Finnish: luuydin
- French: moelle
- German: Mark
- Greek: μεδούλι
- Indonesian: Sum sum tulang
- Interlingua: medulla
- Italian: midollo
- Maltese: mudullun
- Northern Sami:
- Norwegian: marg
- Polish: szpik
- Portuguese: medula
- Russian: костный мозг
- Skolt Sami:
- Slovak: špik
- Spanish: médula
- Swedish: märg
kind of vegetable
- Dutch: courgette
- Finnish: kesäkurpitsa
- French: courgette
- German: Flaschenkürbis
- Italian: zucchina
- Maltese: qargħa
- Polish: kabaczek
- Russian: кабачок
Marrow can mean
- bone marrow, the interior of long bones
- vegetable marrow, a variety of squash, or a large courgette (zucchini in US English)
- Marrow, a character in the X-Men comic series.
- Marrow (novel), Sci-Fi Book written by Robert Reed.
- The Marrow Controversy, occasioned by the republication of The Marrow of Modern Divinity in 1718.
abatis, axiom, axis, bottom, brains, center, center of action, center of gravity, centroid, centrum, chitterlings, cockscomb, core, dead center, distillate, distillation, elixir, epicenter, essence, essential, essentiality, fabric, flower, focus, fundamental, giblets, gist, gizzard, gravamen, haslet, heart, hub, hypostasis, inner essence, kernel, kidneys, liver, material, matter, meat, medium, medulla, metacenter, middle, nave, navel, nub, nucleus, nuts and bolts, omphalos, pith, pivot, postulate, principle, quid, quiddity, quintessence, quintessential, sap, soul, spirit, storm center, stuff, substance, sum and substance, sweetbread, the nitty-gritty, tongue, tripe, umbilicus, virtuality